Saturday, 8 July 2017

Week 32: Changes in my Practice


When I think about what I have achieved during the last 32 weeks, words can not explain how I really feel. The experience has been mindblowing and affirming all at the same time. I have enjoyed sharing and meeting with like-minded people on the same journey while learning how to implement ideas, learning new ways of looking at things, applying what I have learned to the classroom context and analyzing my leadership style. The course has also been affirming of my practice and knowing I am on the right track leading IT at my school. I have some new ideas about blended learning and how to implement this and I am excited about what lays ahead in the future.



Collaborating with others during the first 16 week part of the course has been fabulous. I have really enjoyed listening to others sharing their experiences and learning. Learning alongside others in my profession has been inspirational. I have enjoyed reading the articles and readings as they have relevant to the learning.  It has been a real journey.  I am a reflective practitioner, before the mindlab course I kept my reflections to myself. Sharing my reflections on a blog has been challenging but I have enjoyed reading others reflections and it has been reassuring that others have felt the same or are experiencing similar experiences. Osterman and Kottcamp mention that "to gain a new level of insight into personal behaviour, the reflective practitioner assumes a dual stance, being, on one hand, the actor in a drama and, on the other hand, the critic who sits in the audience watching and analysing the entire performance. To achieve this perspective, individuals must come to an understanding of their own behaviour; they must develop a conscious awareness of their own actions and effects and the ideas or theories-in-use that shape their action strategies". I have learnt much about myself during the 32 week course.

I was the only person who took part at my school and have found it really hard especially with the online latter part of the programme. I have found it challenging keeping up the workload, not knowing if I was on the right track, I found it easier when we met as a class and were able to discuss parts of the course as this was reaffirming.


Criterion 4

Fully certified teachers demonstrate a commitment to ongoing professional learning and development of personal professional practice.
Key indicators:
  • Identify professional learning goals in consultation with colleagues.
  • Participate responsively in professional learning opportunities within the learning community.
  • Initiate learning opportunities to advance personal professional knowledge and skills.

One of the areas I have implemented since my involvement in the Mindlab postgrad was teacher portfolios using isites google application. I am a team leader and wanted to engage my team in system that was more engaging and reflective for them. As a team we each started up our own teacher portfolio at the beginning of the year. Every time we meet as a team, once a week, we added to our isite page, using evidence for each criterion.  We as a team identified learning goals we wanted to focus on, which my team co-constructed and engaged in professional development meeting their goals. My team actively engaged in learning opportunities to advance their professional knowledge in areas they identified.  Every time we met as a team our conversations were always pedagogical driven.

Criterion 5

Fully certified teachers show leadership that contributes to effective teaching and learning.
Key indicators:
  • Actively contribute to the professional learning community.
  • Undertake areas of responsibility effectively.
During the 32 week course, I have been able to put together a strategic plan for IT at our school.  I have run workshops for staff teaching them how to use applications and developed a blended learning model for my school. I have been able to share what I have learned through the mindlab course.



My next dream, I have decided to continue with my study, I have inquired about doing my Masters in education through Waikato University. I am a lifelong learner,  I want to continue to pursue research in areas I have been introduced to through engaging in the mindlab course. I want to be the best I can be for my students.




Ministry of Education (nd). Practising teacher Criteria and e-learning . Retrieved from http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Professional-learning/
Osterman, K. & Kottkamp, R.(1993). Reflective Practice for Educators. California: Cornwin Press, Inc. Retrieved on 7th May, 2015 from http://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files.
Rolfe, G., Freshwater, D., Jasper, M. (2001).Critical reflection in nursing and the helping professions: a user’s guide. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.

1 comment:

  1. Please find an hour or so to read Khalil Gibran too.

    ReplyDelete